Friday, June 04, 2010

Iowa cornfields

Our last day in Lincoln was slow and lazy like many of our days when not traveling. We drove back down to Haymarket hoping to have a late lunch at Vincenzio's but they had stopped serving. We decided to return to Lazlo's and were not disappointed. Helga had Shrimp Tempura and I had grilled Salmon accompanied by a Better World Wheat.

Yesterday we left Lincoln, continuing East on I-80 through Omaha, crossing the Missouri River we entered Iowa. As we were driving along I commented on not seeing corn but Helga let me know that plants were there albeit only a foot or so high since it is only early June. Well, what do I know?!

We arrived at Colony Country Campground where we will stay two nights and explore the area, mostly the Amana Colonies. We are between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, Kurt Warner country in my book. Kurt, former Rams and Cardinals quarterback was born south of here and went to high school in Cedar Rapids and college at Northern Iowa north of here.

Last evening after getting a suggestion from the campground host for dinner I checked out trip advisor.com and found the number one rated restaurant was Plaza Jalisco in Coralville. Now we had a real problem with that. When we came through the Midwest on our first motor home adventure in 1978 we tried Mexican food in Michigan. The only thing they had right were the colors!

Well based on the reviews I couldn't resist trying it and convinced Helga that we ought to give it a shot. Wow, it was great! From the $2.00 Lime Margaritas to the complimentary sopapillas with ice cream and chocolate sauce! My meal, of which I'm really sorry I didn't take a picture, was superb. It included a dozen bacon wrapped shrimp, carne asada, avocado, pico de gallo, rice, beans and tortillas. The tortilla chips and the three salsas were hard to ignore.

Slept great last night, waking up this morning to some rain and thunder. It has now cleared away to bright sunshine.

No comments: